Death by Cop  2026

Search fatalities

You can use any or all of the fields to refine the search.

Francisco Javier Montes-Hernandez

Age : 33

Gender : Male

Race : Latino/a/e

Date : 08/16/2026

Location : 208 Alda Drive

City : Monroe

County : Union

State : North Carolina

Agency : Monroe Police Department

Officer(s) :Not Disclosed

Cause of Death : Gunshot

Event : Killed by police during response to reported attempted home break-in

OPEN RECORDS SUMMARY :

NARRATIVE:
On 08/16/2026, 33-year-old Francisco Javier Montes-Hernandez was shot by a Monroe Police Department officer on Alda Drive in Monroe, North Carolina. Montes-Hernandez was transported to a Charlotte-area hospital in critical condition and died from his injuries on August 18.
.
At approximately 10 p.m., Monroe police were dispatched to 208 Alda Drive after a woman called 911 and reported that someone was attempting to enter her home. The caller provided a description of the person. Police later said Montes-Hernandez and the woman knew each other and described the incident as targeted, although authorities have not publicly disclosed the nature of their relationship.
.
The first officer arrived alone and encountered Montes-Hernandez in the street. Police said Montes-Hernandez matched the description provided by the caller and had a bicycle with him. Investigators subsequently confirmed that a bicycle found in the roadway belonged to Montes-Hernandez.
.
Police alleged that Montes-Hernandez was carrying a handgun and pointed it at the officer. According to Monroe police, the officer repeatedly ordered Montes-Hernandez to drop the gun before shooting him. Police said less than 30 seconds elapsed between the officer's arrival in the neighborhood and the shooting.
.
After the shooting, officers provided CPR and other emergency medical aid until paramedics arrived. Montes-Hernandez was transported to a Charlotte-area hospital with life-threatening injuries. Police initially announced that he was not expected to survive and confirmed on August 18 that he had died.
.
Police said a handgun belonging to Montes-Hernandez was recovered at the scene. The publicly available reporting reviewed so far does not indicate that Montes-Hernandez fired the weapon.
.
Montes-Hernandez was identified as being from Mexico and was reportedly staying in the Monroe area at the time of his death.
.
The North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation is conducting the independent investigation into the shooting. The officer who killed Montes-Hernandez was placed on administrative leave.
.
OFFICER BACKGROUND:
The Monroe Police Department has not publicly identified the officer who shot and killed Montes-Hernandez. The department said the officer was the first to arrive at the reported attempted break-in and was alone when the shooting occurred. The encounter from the officer's arrival until the shooting lasted less than 30 seconds. The officer remains on administrative leave while the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation investigates. Identification of the officer is needed to determine any prior shootings, complaints, disciplinary history, lawsuits or other use-of-force incidents.

SOURCE LINKS :

https://www.wbtv.com/2026/08/18/person-dies-after-being-shot-by-police-union-county-what-know/
https://www.wbtv.com/2026/08/17/suspect-unlikely-survive-after-being-shot-by-officer-during-attempted-break-in-monroe-police-say/
https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/monroe-police-say-officer-involved-shooting-began-with-suspicious-person-call/JREFABH5UFEBTOEQILBZTEGBZ4/
https://www.wccbcharlotte.com/2026/08/18/suspect-shot-by-monroe-police-dies/